Bistek made of beef slices braised in a mixture of citrus, soy sauce, onions, and garlic. This Filipino beef steak is hearty, tasty and perfect with steamed rice.
- 2 pounds top round or sirloin, sliced thinly
- 2 lemons, juiced (about 1/4 cup juice)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 head garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup water
- salt to taste
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced into rings
- In a bowl, combine beef, lemon juice, soy sauce, sliced onions, garlic, and pepper. Massage marinade into the meat and marinate for about 30 minutes.
- Remove meat, onions, and garlic from marinade, squeezing and reserving excess liquid.
- In a pan over high heat, heat oil. Add beef and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes per side or until lightly browned. Spoon out and reserve released meat juices during frying. Remove meat.
- In the pan, add onions and garlic, and cook, stirring regularly, until softened. Return browned beef to pan.
- Add reserved marinade and meat juices. Add water and bring to a boil.
- Cover, lower heat, and simmer for about 40 to 50 minutes or until meat is fork-tender and liquid is reduced. Season with salt to taste.
- Turn off heat. Garnish with onion rings, if desired, and cover to allow onions to cook slightly in the steam. Serve hot.