Pineapple Shrimp Fried Rice has a delicious flavor combination of savory, sweet and spicy. Serve it in hollowed out pineapples for a beautiful presentation!
It’s best to use leftover cold rice when making fried rice. I love keeping Trader Joe’s frozen brown rice on hand for stir fries, it’s so convenient and makes this dish come together in minutes!
Liquid Aminos or Coconut Aminos can be substituted for the soy sauce.
- 3 cups cooked brown rice, from 1 1/2 cups uncooked
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 1/4 lb large peeled and deveined shrimp, chopped into chunks
- 1-1/2 cups fresh pineapple, diced (from 2 fresh)
- 5 large scallions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 fresh chili pepper or jalepeno, chopped
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- cilantro for garnish
- Cook brown rice according to package directions and set aside to cool.
- If making pineapple bowls, cut each pineapple in half and hollow out both halves to make 4 bowls.
- Cut a piece off the bottom of the pineapple halves to create a flat base.
- Cut the pineapple into small pieces and set aside.
- Heat a nonstick wok on high heat; when hot add oil.
- Add shrimp and cook a few minutes until just opaque, 3 to 5 minutes; set aside.
- Add the scallions, chili and garlic to the wok. Saute about 1 minute, then add the rice, shrimp and pineapple and stir a few times.
- Add soy sauce and fish sauce, stir to mix all the ingredients and cook another 30 seconds.
- Divide and transfer into the hollowed out pineapples and garnish with cilantro.