These Red Wine Braised Boneless Short Ribs and easy and delicious. Cooked low and slow, this is perfect Winter comfort food!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 lb. boneless short ribs about 4
- 1 medium carrot peeled and quite finely diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine *see notes
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth or beef broth
- 5 sprigs flat-leaf parsley or 2 tsp dried parsley
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary or 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 8-10 mini potatoes halved
- 1 large carrot peeled, halved and cut into 2-inch slices
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a Dutch oven or large, oven-safe pot with a lid, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add short ribs and sear on all sides until golden. Remove from pot to a plate.
- Remove most of the oil from the pot. Add the diced carrots and onions and cook, stirring, over medium heat until the onions are softened, about 5 minutes. Add the flour and tomato paste to the pot and continue cooking, stirring constantly, for another minute. Add the wine to the pot. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium low and simmer until wine reduces by half (about 20-25 minutes) *Don’t rush this step! When the wine has reduced, add the broth and the herbs to the pot and stir to combine. Return the short ribs to the pot. Cover pot with lid and cook in preheated oven for 1 1/4 hours.
- After 1 1/4 hours in the oven, remove from oven and stir in the large pieces of carrots and potatoes, if using. Return to the oven, covered, for another 1 1/4 hours or until meat pulls apart easily and vegetables are tender.
- Remove from oven. Remove herbs and discard. Remove short ribs and vegetables to a plate. Allow sauce to stand undisturbed for 10-15 minutes. The fat in the gravy should rise to the top, where you can spoon it off and discard. Return the short ribs and vegetables to the pot and re-warm on the stove-top with the gravy.