Try our flavour-packed mussels with orzo and spicy ‘nduja. This easy recipe is low in calories and ready in under an hour – great for impressive weekend entertaining
- Pernod 200ml
- mussels 500g, cleaned
- olive oil 1 tbsp
- onion 1, finely chopped
- garlic 2 cloves, finely chopped
- fennel seeds 1 tsp
- ’nduja 50g, broken into pieces (see notes below)
- orzo 300g
- tomatoes 2 ripe, chopped
- flat-leaf parsley a small bunch, chopped
- lemon 1, wedged, to serve
- STEP 1Put the Pernod in a large, deep, lidded frying pan and bring to the boil. Tip in the mussels, put on the lid and cook for 5 minutes or until the mussels open. Drain, reserving the liquid.
- STEP 2Heat the olive oil in the same pan, add the onion and garlic, and cook gently for 5-10 minutes or until soft. Add the fennel seeds and ’nduja, and cook for 5 minutes or until everything is a deep red. Stir through the orzo and tomatoes so that all the grains are coated. Pour the mussel liquid into a jug, leaving the last gritty bit in the bowl. Top up with boiling water to make 750ml of liquid, add to the pasta a ladleful at a time, and cook, stirring, until all the liquid has been absorbed before adding the next. Once the orzo is cooked, add the mussels to heat through. Scatter with parsley and serve with lemon wedges.