Sesame noodles, or ma jiang mian (麻酱面) are a Shanghainese classic. A delicious weeknight or lunchtime meal to enjoy, sesame noodles are really easy to make.
Recipe type: Noodles and Pasta
Serves: 1 serving
- 4 oz. fresh wheat noodles (or 1 serving of dried noodles)
- ½ tablespoon sesame paste / tahini
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1-2 teaspoons rice vinegar (optional to taste)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 5 tablespoons hot water (or braised meat sauce)
- A small handful of chopped scallion
- Chili oil (optional)
- Cook the noodles according to the package instructions.
- While the noodles are cooking, make the sauce by mixing together the sesame paste, peanut butter, light soy sauce, rice vinegar (optional), vegetable oil, sugar, and water. Stir in one direction until it turns into a smooth, even paste.
- Once the noodles are cooked, drain them and toss with the prepared sauce, chopped scallions, and chili oil (if desired).