Shrimp toast is a retro Chinese takeout classic. A flavorful mixture of ground shrimp spread onto bread and pan-fried until crispy––the perfect appetizer! This shrimp toast recipe makes 16 toasts–-simply double or triple the recipe for larger groups!
Recipe type: Appetizers
- 1 ounce pork fat (optional)
- ½ pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- ¼ teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 egg white
- 4 slices white sandwich bread
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- If you’re going the traditional route and using pork fat, add the pork fat to a food processor and process until smooth. Then add the shrimp, cilantro, scallions, ginger, sesame oil, sugar, salt, cornstarch and egg white. Process until smooth.
- Divide the mixture among 4 slices of sandwich bread, spreading it evenly out to the ends. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, and lightly press the sesame seeds into the shrimp mixture. Cut each slice into quarters on a diagonal to create little triangles.
- In a large nonstick or cast iron skillet, heat ⅛ inch of oil until shimmering. Fry the triangles in the skillet, shrimp-side down first, until golden––about 2-3 minutes.
- Use a spatula to carefully turn them over, and fry the other side for about 1 minute. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Serve immediately!